tisdag 5 juli 2011

E-writing assignment 2.2

Create and briefly describe a scenario of your own (involving 2-4 characters) and then write a matching dialogue to go with it. As with the task above, try to bring your scenario to some sort of close in the actual dialogue. Target length (including scenario description): 350-750 words.


Father and son

Martha and Joe have been married for twenty-five years. They live in an idyllic suburban area outside a major city. They have two kids, a son named Jason, and a daughter named Kate. Kate goes to college in another city, while Jason goes to college nearby and still lives at home with his parents.


“Mom, Dad, I need to speak with you.” Jason says from the top of the stairs. He is anxious to get their attention. “It’s important!” he yells to be sure they’ll listen. “And while you’re at it mum, would you make us some coffee!” He goes back to his room waiting.

As his mom yells that coffee is ready, Jason takes a deep breath and joins them at the kitchen table.
“What is it, Jase?” his mom asks. She sees his worried eyes and instinctually gets up to once again take care of her little boy.
“Just sit down, mom. I have something I must tell the two of you.”
“What is it, son? Can’t it wait until the game is over?” dad asks anxious to get back to the TV.
“No, it can’t. I can’t wait any longer.”
“Spit it out then!” Jason’s dad id getting increasingly hurried.
“Well, it’s not that easy. I’ve been meaning to tell you for ages but it just never seems to be the right time.”
“Oh my God. What is it, Jase? Is it drugs?” mom asks and starts crying.
“No, it’s not drugs, mom.”
“Did you knock up some poor girl?” dad asks with big eyes.
“No.”
“Are you ill, honey? Are you not feeling well?” his mum urges on.
“I’m not sick.”
“What is it then?!” Dad asks.
“I don’t know if you’ve noticed, but I’m seeing someone?”
“Is this what it’s all about -you seeing some girl? You almost gave your mother a heart attack!” mom says, breathing heavily.
“Sort of. He’s name is Beau, and I love him... I had to tell you.” The kitchen becomes silence, and you could hear a pin drop. Martha and Joe looks confused, not really understanding what their son had just told them.
“Sorry, but did you just say Beau? Isn’t that a boy’s name?” dad finally asks.
“It is. Beau is a boy.”
“Beau is a boy? You’re in love with a boy?” mom says while she starts crying more heavily than before.
“Mom, Dad… I’m gay.” Jason says while smiling with relief, as s heavy weight has just been lifted from his shoulders. He feels alive, and free to be himself now that he being gay is all in the open.
“You are not!” dad screams spoiling Jason’s short moment of joy. “It can’t be! You love sports and you have had girlfriends?”
“I am. I’m gay. I still love sports, but I never loved a girl. I was just pretending to be something that I’m not. Now that I’m with Beau, it just feels right. I can’t pretend anymore.”
“We will get you some help. This is sick! We go to church on Sunday and Father Damon will help you, I’m sure of it. It can’t be. Not my only son?” Dad says, he starts to cry. Jason had never seen his father cry before.
“Please, Dad. Don’t be like this. I just can’t pretend anymore. Can’t you see this is me?”
“You are not gay! And if you are, you are a sinner just like all the other sissies! This is not the son I raised!”
“Joe, please!” mom interrupts. “We’ll sort it out. It will be fine.”
“It will not be fine! I don’t want a butt-fucker under my roof!” he looks at his son in anger. “You have to make a choice Jason. Go and be with your sissy boyfriend and never return here again. Or you stay with us and go talk to the priest. He can heal you.”
“Dad, are you serious? Really? You want me to choose?”
“Make your choice Jason, and make the right one!”
“Then I choose the only thing I can. I chose to be me. I chose love.” Jason says leaving the kitchen table and both of his parents, not knowing if he ever will return.
   

3 kommentarer:

  1. This is a very sad story; a dialogue that probably has been repeated many times in several homes. I really like it because it's credible.

    SvaraRadera
  2. I have to agree with Camilla! You have done a very credible story, and also I think an importante story to tell! Very well done:)

    SvaraRadera